A montanha mágica

sábado, setembro 18, 2004

2 He will be 70 on Tuesday, the first of the 1960s singer-songwriters to reach 70. He was born in 1934, shortly before Elvis Presley.





6. On That Day

Words and music by Leonard Cohen
and Anjani Thomas

Some people say
It`s what we deserve
For sins against g-d
For crimes in the world
I wouldn`t know
I?m just holding the fort
Since that day
They wounded New York
Some people say
They hate us of old
Our women unveiled
Our slaves and our gold
I wouldn`t know
I`m just holding the fort
But answer me this
I won`t take you to court
Did you go crazy
Or did you report
On that day
On that day
They wounded New York


Produced by Anjani Thomas
Vocals and Jew`s harp: Leonard Cohen
Background vocals arranged and
sung by Anjani Thomas
Piano: Anjani Thomas
Bass: Stan Sargent


© 2004 Old Ideas LLC (BMI) and
Little Fountain Music (BMI)




As the godfather of gloom turns 70, Tim de Lisle describes his brush with death - and lists 69 other things you may not know about him


9 Cohen was 32 and an established poet and novelist before deciding that songwriting might pay better. When he first touted his songs around New York, agents said to him: "Aren't you a little old for this game?"



70 In 1994, Cohen said: "If you're going to think of yourself in this game, or in this tradition, and you start getting a swelled head about it, then you've really got to think about who you're talking about. You're not just talking about Randy Newman, who's fine, or Bob Dylan, who's sublime, you're talking about King David, Homer, Dante, Milton, Wordsworth, you're talking about the embodiment of our highest possibility. So I don't think it's particularly modest or virtuous to think of oneself as a minor poet. I really do feel the enormous luck I've had in being able to make a living, and to never have had to have written one word that I didn't want to write.

"But I don't fool myself, I know the game I'm in. When I wrote about Hank Williams 'A hundred floors above me in the tower of song', it's not some kind of inverse modesty. I know where Hank Williams stands in the history of popular song. Your Cheatin' Heart, songs like that, are sublime, in his own tradition, and I feel myself a very minor writer. I've taken a certain territory, and I've tried to maintain it and administrate it with the very best of my capacities. And I will continue to administrate this tiny territory until I'm too weak to do it. But I understand where this territory is."




posted by Luís Miguel Dias sábado, setembro 18, 2004

Powered by Blogger Site Meter

Blogue de Luís Dias
amontanhamagica@hotmail.com
A montanha mágica YouTube




vídeos cá do sítio publicados no site do NME

Ilusões Perdidas//A Divina Comédia

Btn_brn_30x30

Google Art Project

Assírio & Alvim
Livrarias Assírio & Alvim - NOVO
Pedra Angular Facebook
blog da Cotovia
Averno
Livros &etc
Relógio D`Água Editores
porta 33
A Phala
Papeles Perdidos
O Café dos Loucos
The Ressabiator

António Reis
Ainda não começámos a pensar
As Aranhas
Foco
Lumière
dias felizes
umblogsobrekleist
there`s only 1 alice
menina limão
O Melhor Amigo
Hospedaria Camões
Bartleby Bar
Rua das Pretas
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
primeira hora da manhã
Ouriquense
contra mundum
Os Filmes da Minha Vida
Poesia Incompleta
Livraria Letra Livre
Kino Slang
sempre em marcha
Pedro Costa
Artistas Unidos
Teatro da Cornucópia


Abrupto
Manuel António Pina
portadaloja
Dragoscópio
Rui Tavares
31 da Armada

Discos com Sono
Voz do Deserto
Ainda não está escuro
Provas de Contacto
O Inventor
Ribeira das Naus
Vidro Azul
Sound + Vision
The Rest Is Noise
Unquiet Thoughts


Espaço Llansol
Bragança de Miranda
Blogue do Centro Nacional de Cultura
Blogue Jornal de Letras
Atlântico-Sul
letra corrida
Letra de Forma
Revista Coelacanto


A Causa Foi Modificada
Almocreve das Petas
A natureza do mal
Arrastão
A Terceira Noite
Bomba Inteligente
O Senhor Comentador
Blogue dos Cafés
cinco dias
João Pereira Coutinho
jugular
Linha dos Nodos
Manchas
Life is Life
Mood Swing
Os homens da minha vida
O signo do dragão
O Vermelho e o Negro
Pastoral Portuguesa
Poesia & Lda.
Vidro Duplo
Quatro Caminhos
vontade indómita
.....
Arts & Letters Daily
Classica Digitalia
biblioteca nacional digital
Project Gutenberg
Believer
Colóquio/Letras
Cabinet
First Things
The Atlantic
El Paso Times
La Repubblica
BBC News
Telegraph.co.uk
Estadão
Folha de S. Paulo
Harper`s Magazine
The Independent
The Nation
The New Republic
The New York Review of Books
London Review of Books
Prospect
The Spectator
Transfuge
Salon
The Times Literary...
The New Criterion
The Paris Review
Vanity Fair
Cahiers du cinéma
UBUWEB::Sound
all music guide
Pitchfork
Wire
Flannery O'Connor
Bill Viola
Ficções

Destaques: Tomas Tranströmer e de Kooning
e Brancusi-Serra e Tom Waits e Ruy Belo e
Andrei Tarkovski e What Heaven Looks Like: Part 1
e What Heaven Looks Like: Part 2
e Enda Walsh e Jean Genet e Frank Gehry's first skyscraper e Radiohead and Massive Attack play at Occupy London Christmas party - video e What Heaven Looks Like: Part 3 e
And I love Life and fear not Death—Because I’ve lived—But never as now—these days! Good Night—I’m with you. e
What Heaven Looks Like: Part 4 e Krapp's Last Tape (2006) A rare chance to see the sell out performance of Samuel Beckett's critically acclaimed play, starring Nobel Laureate Harold Pinter via entrada como last tapes outrora dias felizes e agora MALONE meurt________

São horas, Senhor. O Verão alongou-se muito.
Pousa sobre os relógios de sol as tuas sombras
E larga os ventos por sobre as campinas.


Old Ideas

Past